Thursday, May 19, 2016

Who Remembers How to Get to Vladeck Hall?

Warmest Greetings Everyone:

My first blog post is to announce the publication of my coming-of-age memoir: The Rail: What was Really Doin' in the 60's Bronx. As the son of an Irish immigrant, growing up in a Jewish neighborhood near the Amalgamated Housing in the Van Cortlandt Park area during the 1950s (in the aftermath of WW2 and the Holocaust) and during the earthshaking 1960s, I have written a love story to the people and place that ultimately saved my life. Read more about it on my website, www.the-rail.net

Equally exciting is that in five weeks I will be journeying back to my old neighborhood to read from my book at one of the iconic locations, Vladeck Hall.

Vladeck Hall is an auditorium located at 74 Van Cortlandt Park South, part of the 6th Building in the Amalgamated complex. Over the years this location has been the site of summer camp gathering, ballet classes, all manner of performances, art shows, and more. I am honored to be taking the stage to share my story, the story that could not have been written without the people who shaped me into the person I've become. 

Join me, at Vladeck Hall, on Sunday, June 26th, 5:00 p.m. It will be a wonderful neighborhood reunion.  

3 comments:

  1. I'm disappointed that I won't be able to be there, Tommy. But I remember Vladeck Hall as the place where I took (yuck) dance class for 2 years and played in piano recitals. There were also rummage sales there; maybe from VCJC? I hope the reading and the entire event is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Howard. You will be missed. Perhaps someday we can be in the same place at the same time and get reacquainted. Until that time, be well and stay strong. I will give your regards to the neighborhood.

      Delete
  2. how to get to Vladeck Hall...where the Yiddishe Shule held its Third Seder...soooo ya cross at the Co-op Market...then walk alllllll the way..make a right...go up some...but wait a minute! By car! - - how to get there is easy enough, where does one park on a Sunday 5 pm in latter June...June of 2016 that is?? If I'm identified as "unknown" - - this unknown is Betty BK.

    ReplyDelete